Friday, March 23, 2012

What's Next?

Thank you for all the support the last couple weeks post accident. I will admit, it has tested me. My sister and some friends have nick-named me "Trevor Tough." As they said, "it's a different type of tough." I don't know if I agree. However, I appreciate the sentiment. Update on all that is medical: I lost one tooth as a result of accident. Two other are still in jeopardy as they were pushed back into socket at the ER. We will see if they regenerate or not. If not, they will be pulled and implants put in their place. I have the best in Portland working on my teeth which is wonderful. That said, it will be 3-6 months of waiting, root canals, etc. Couple dozens stitches, never got final count. Some cool scars for sure.

I have tried to stay positive throughout. I won't lie, it's been a challenge at times. I basically couldn't speak for 1.5 weeks. I had so little energy the past few weeks due to recovery that I haven't been able to train much at all. Emotionally it has been a double whammy. Tired to begin with and not able to train on top of it. Similar to having an injury but with more fatigue. When a major part of your life revolves around fitness, you can see how this could be a challenge to wrap my head around. I've tried to stay focused on the big picture. No major injuries. No debilitating issues. Just some messed up teeth and a messed up face to prove that I ride a bike a lot.

Physically: Workouts have been rare. I received a promotion at work the week before the accident. It is awesome but it meant more responsibility and more time. Not a great combo when you are laying bed on pain pills unable to talk. I had to sacrifice some fitness to focus on health and work. Last Sunday I decided to run in the 15k at the annual Shamrock run in Portland. I had already paid the dues and their was a sweet bottle opener to every finisher. Despite not running in two weeks I toed the line. After 1/2 mile my teeth were aching and starting to bleed a bit (the up and down of running had been discouraged but what do those guys know?). After 8 miles we were going downhill and my quads were on fire as a result of no run miles. However I did of course finish. And it didn't kill me. I was slow, but still in the top 20% of the field. More importantly it felt awesome to hurt like all hell again. During the race and the next day. It truly invigorated me.

The future: Oceanside is out. CDA and Canada are definitely a go. Actually I would say I'm more excited to compete than I have been in a while. Why? For a few days after the accident I wondered what it would have been like to never have been able to put together a solid Ironman race. As well as to potentially not be able to compete again (if it had been more serious). It made me so sad to think about the thrill of toeing the line and giving it your all on race day at an Ironman and the reality that it might be gone someday. So, yes...to the dozens if not more that have asked me, I will ride my bike again. In fact I have. Indoors only at this point. I maintain riding a bike is safer than driving a car if ridden defensively. I have ridden dozens of thousands of miles (if not thousands at this point) without injury until now. If it hadn't been for a grate, that is illegal in Oregon (more to follow on that coming soon), I would still be accident free. You can ride safe. Shit will happen. Same when you are driving to work, flying across the country and riding the elevator. Accidents happen. Such is life.

Live in the present. Train smart and safe. I truly appreciate all the support. And, more than ever, I truly appreciate our sport.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment