Monday, June 4, 2012

Addictions

First off, one of my addictions is my IPAD. After reviewing my last post after I blogged it, I noticed that none of my paragraphs were actually displayed. My post looked like a giant ramble. My apologies. I will try and figure out how to fix that. Back to the subject line. Addictions. Everyone has them. At least I know I do. On Sunday I thought about my addiction...fitness. I had a solid 5 hour workout Saturday that didn't tax me like it would early in the season. So on Sunday I found myself cruising along 90 minutes into a 2hr + run when someone came past me on his bike. The individual, Jeff I believe was his name, then waited for me to catch up and rode next to me as I ran for the next mile or two. Why do I bring this up? Well here I was pounding out 7:30 pace late in a long run on varied terrain while holding a conversation with some random cyclist. That feeling is so addictive. It is tough to explain. It ended up being a great run and wrapped up my final big volume week leading into IMCDA in just under 3 weeks.

However good the fitness addiction feels though, there is always a dark side. Here it is Monday night a little before 8pm and I'm preparing for bed. Our weekend nights lately consist of reading in bed and turning off the light early so I can get 10 hours of sleep to recharge the battery. This is where I thank my wife. What a year this poor woman has been through with me. Surgeries, MRSA infections, and a horrific bike accident. On top of all that, she still supports my training. To put that training piece into context, most of my big weeks are north of 20 hours of training (my biggest weeks 25-30/week...however these were rare). This is a huge sacrifice she makes for me. This is on top of the countless hours I put into my career and the fact I have my work phone attached to me wherever I go. I truly can't thank her enough. I know when I'm battling through CDA, I will be thinking of her and her commitment to me.

Training has been going well. It has been an interesting build up with such a limited time table. I will be very interested to see how I race in CDA. I'm doing a local Olympic distance this weekend to tune up and knock some of the cobwebs off. This race should be a good indicator of my current fitness as it will happen right before we start to drop down the volume as CDA draws closer each day. I can feel it getting closer. I have been getting butterflies for the past few days. Just randomly. I haven't had that in some time. Such a nice feeling. I guess that is "itch" telling me it's time to scratch!

Thanks for checking in. Train safe and have fun.

-T

No comments:

Post a Comment