Saturday, February 12, 2011

Moments

Ironman racing is decided by decisions. Some are split second and some take time. Do I get re fit on my bike might be a more long term question months in advance of a race. Should I eat that gel even though I don't feel hungry might be a question you ask at mile 10 of the marathon. Regardless of the decisions made, your race is a result of decision making. Your race is also made up of moments. Moments of pleasure, agony, uneasiness, thought, despair, etc. One of my goals in training is to try and stimulate my brain to remember certain moments from training to carry me through the challenging moments of an Ironman race. I had one of those moments today that I will take with my to IMCDA in June.

A buddy and I were out for a long ride today when we turned down a road that neither of us had been down before. It was our understanding that the road was a good 4 mile climb. It didn't disappoint. As we turned down this new road to go exploring, we noticed a large pack of riders about to make the same turn but from the other direction. Probably 15 or so of them. I stayed up front with my friend next to me as we started in on the climb. We made some conversation with the large group and asked if we were on the correct road, etc. As the climb continued I started to press the pace just slightly as I really didn't feel like getting swallowed up by a peloton today. Problem was we had no idea when the actual end of this climb was.

I continued to lift the pace whenever my buddy would start to move up on my wheel. Instinctively I knew he was telling me to push just a little more as the crew behind was making ground. Within a few moments my friend attacked. The group had reached his rear wheel. I gritted my teeth and dismissed the pain in my quads from last night run, the pain in my lungs from the sinus infection I had just started treating with antibiotics 6 days ago and got out of the saddle. I made a joke while passing my bud and took off to the summit. It was great. I felt like my old self again. We got up to the summit and we looked at the group. There were about 5 left. The rest were strung out down the hill. Why is this moment so significant for me? Well, it's been a good 40 days or so that I have been sick. It has been incredibly difficult to tolerate as a competitor. Rest, don't train. Um. Don't know how. Well, I've been learning. Had to. But today was about pushing through the bad thoughts and rising up to reach a new level of confidence. Did it hurt when I sprang out of the saddle and led the boys up? Yes, but not in the normal sense. Because I didn't care. I knew there was more in me, way more. So, I'm going to continue to listen to my coach and father...these guys know what they are talking about and they are helping to keep me as healthy and fit as possible.

On the second loop of the bike at CDA, when I don't want to climb the same damn hill again 80 miles into the race...I'll think of today.

-T

No comments:

Post a Comment